PPPOE vs DHCP

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Jan 26 16:33:58 UTC 2011

On 1/26/2011 9:36 AM, Tim Franklin wrote:
>> Terminating PPPoE generally isn't much different than terminating
>> VLANs.  In Juniper world, it requires the right equipment. Cisco
>> world, it's not generally a big deal.
>
> Unless, for example, you already sunk a chunk of change into Cisco 10Ks, and now want IPv6 on your PPPoE.  Not that I'm becomming increasingly bitter about that platform or anything...

10K isn't supporting IPv6 on PPPoE? I thought the 10K specialized in
utilizing the IOS SR line. I've played with PPPoE and bridging on the
7200s mostly. I need to kick up an ASR, as I hear it's specialized code
line has much better IPv6 support than IOS SR. both XR/XE codes seem to
be much more richly featured, especially for radius backending DHCP.

Jack