PPPOE vs DHCP

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jan 26 06:34:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Paul Stewart wrote:

> I'm meeting with a customer tomorrow (service provider, rural telco) and
> we're pitching they move to a PPPOE platform most likely.  But to be
> fair, I'm looking to draw up a comparison so they are "well informed" of
> the pros/cons.  Has anyone done this?

Of course. There are plenty of ISPs doing ETTH with DHCP based solutions.
and L2 and L3 switches for switching/routing.

Only reason I would ever roll out PPP today is because of some regulatory
demand to provide bitstream to others, and most likely not even then
(there are better ways).

Basically all your "con:s" on DHCP isn't true, they can all be solved and
has been for 10 years by others.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se