Network Naming

Gary Steers gary.steers at sharedband.com
Wed Jan 26 01:15:18 UTC 2011

James makes a good point...

> Pick a scheme which:
>  1. Uses simple memorable names.
>  2. Makes business sense to you.
>  3. You know how to manage (database, publication, updates, etc.
> If I had to weight these criteria, I would weight 3 most heavily.

The other key thing to bear in mind is consistency and scalability... (i.e. design a scope that can grow with your network and needs

{interface/server}.{router/vmhost}.{city}.{country}.example.net

The other thing that doesn't really have any defined list is {city}, Some people prefer 2 letter, some 3 letter, some people use airport codes etc..

Hope that helps!

---
Gary Steers
Sharedband NOC/3rd Line Support