Another v6 question

Max Pierson nmaxpierson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 21:43:01 UTC 2011

Great reply's on and off-list so far.

To hit on a few points ...

Owen, thank you for catching my terminology blunder there. I understand
smaller is != shorter. Complete mistake :)

Glad to see most have loosened that policy, as I figured it wouldn't hold at
the time I originally heard it 2 or so years ago.

>You really can't map prefix availability to prefix usage.
>There are 4 billion IPv4 /32s. There aren't 4 billion LIRs that will get
/32s.

I wasn't exactly mapping prefix availability to usage, apologies if it came
across like that. My crunching did not include host bits. I understand I
won't see /64's from each of my neighbors down the street. (or I shouldn't
anyways).

>As to the IPv4 de-agg, I think that's going to be one of the primary causes
for
>an accelerated deprecation of IPv4 once IPv6 starts to become more
>ubiquitous.

I would agree from a SP perspective, however from and end-user and
enterprise perspective, most don't care about table sizes and will be slow
to move to v6 until "everyone else is doing it" ... (as in they have to now
because their facebook status won't be offered over v4 anymore). Alot
of organizations I've spoken with still don't know what v6 even is. I think
alot of end-user land and even some enterprises will drag their feet on this
as long as it costs money for hardware upgrade to support v6, also having
staff to support v6, legacy v4 apps that won't be ported to v6, etc. (I
understand there's ways around this, my point is the customer doesn't). I
think v4 will be around longer than we want it to (unfortunately), but time
will tell.

To Jusin's point,
I agree that we will be net-negative for a while. My concerns is trying to
dual-stack a v4 table and a v6 table. They both will grow over time, and
until the powers that be "pull the plug" on re-issuing returned v4 space
(which I completely disagree with), it'll continue that way. That's just my
opinion though :)

Once again, thanks for all on and off list responses!
Max