Another v6 question

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Jan 25 21:10:04 UTC 2011

On 1/25/2011 10:19, Max Pierson wrote:

>>From the provider perspective, what is the prefix-length that most are
> accepting to be injected into your tables??  2 or so years ago, I read where
> someone stated that they were told by ATT that they weren't planning on
> accepting anything smaller than a /32. So what if I get my shiny new /48
> from ARIN and am already multi-homed??? Does ATT not want my business (which
> they wouldn't get if the first place, but for argument sake, yes, I chose to
> pick on ATT, sorry if I offended anyone :)  I already see /40's /48's ,etc
> in the v6 table, so some folks are allowing /48 and smaller, so what is the
> new /24 in v6?
>
> I only ask due to the fact that ARIN's policy for end-users is /48 minimum
> (which is what i've been telling folks to apply for or applying for it on
> behalf of them).

Almost everyone of consequence accepts a /48. Verizon last year was very
firm at /32, but I've heard they recently changed their mind. Verizon
gave up on trying to get IPv6 to me before this and closed the account
after a calendar year's worth of attempts. I replaced them with Global
Crossing who got it right on the first try.

These days a provider that only accepts a /32 or shorter is the
exception, not the rule.

~Seth