anyone running GPS clocks in Southeastern Georgia?

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Sat Jan 22 12:10:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> For non pilots, RAIM is an indicator that the GPS has a redundant
> solution that matches the barometrically measured altitude.

I know this is off topic, but I don't like to let incorrect information
float around uncorrected.

RAIM never uses any data outside of GPS to confirm position, it is based
entirely on more than the minimum number of satellites needed for a basic
position to calculate redundant solutions, which means a minimum of 5
satellites.

If this were not the case, it would be impossible to get a RAIM
"prediction" (using data about out of service sats) in advance of a
flight.

--
Brandon Ross                                              AIM:  BrandonNRoss
                                                                ICQ:  2269442