Dual Homed BGP for failover

Randy McAnally rsm at fast-serv.com
Wed Jan 19 14:55:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:26:32 -0000, Ahmed Yousuf wrote
> We're doing BGP to announce our PI space and make sure that our PI
> space is reachable through both ISPs in case one link goes down.
>  This is the primary need to do the BGP here.  Unfortunately my boss
> has requested that we make use of the capacity of both links, rather
> than pref traffic out of the higher capacity link.

Understood! you would _still_ take default BGP routes, I was implying more
along the lines (in cisco speak):

! Tweak as necessary to get a good balance
ip route 0.0.0.0 128.0.0.0 <peer1>
ip route 128.0.0.0 128.0.0.0 <peer2>

Set up SLA tracking on the peer IPs to retract the routes if either peer goes
down.

Either that or get more RAM on your router and go the BGP-only method.

-Randy