Dual Homed BGP for failover

Ahmed Yousuf ayousuf0079 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 10:23:47 UTC 2011

Thanks to all for the responses, certainly illuminating.  I'm now more aware
of what I can do and what tools are available.  The following makes sense to
me:

-          Take full routing tables and default from both ISPs and decide
how I filter the routes that get installed in my routers.

-          Originally apply the same filters on both and monitor the links
to see what the natural distribution is, when we let the BGP process decide
how the traffic is routed.  Need to think more about which filters to apply
here, the SRX210s are quoted as having capacity for 16k routes.

-          Once we have a better idea of the traffic profiles start changing
the filters to preference certain traffic over the higher speed link.  One
way this might be done, is to filter based on RIPE or ARIN addresses.  We
are most concerned about maintaining capacity for European traffic, so
install RIPE routes on the higher capacity link and ARIN routes on the lower
capacity links.

-          Accept that we are never going to get an ideal distribution of
traffic and continue monitoring and adjusting local pref/prepends etc. as
and when we need to change the distribution of traffic.  Hopefully we don't
need to do this that often.

Thoughts?

Ahmed