Software DNS hghi availability and load balancer solution

Gary Steers networks at steersnet.org.uk
Wed Jan 19 01:17:03 UTC 2011

>What does that mean? Load balance DNS lookups across multiple servers?
>Or use DNS to load balance? I've never setup a load balancer for DNS
>before. Always just had one server and moved the VM in event of
>failure/maintenance.
*
*
I think using DNS to load balance is what was meant, PowerDNS can do this,
but most DNS servers can to basic load balancing/round robin (it will just
give out a different/multiple A Records each time. I've done this with bind
and Microsoft before.

PowerDNS has an awsome geolocation plugin, and that probably can be tied to
a check to see if the IP is up so it's actually checking the status of IPs
to make it more automated.

Gary