Dual Homed BGP for failover

Max Pierson nmaxpierson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 18:54:34 UTC 2011

You really limit yourself when you just take a default from a provider. If
you take 2 default's (one from each provider) for whatever reason, once you
change the local pref on one of them, it's all your traffic outbound or
none.

I always request a full table + default, so you can filter to best suit your
needs. This way, you can just accept /8's and get some sort of balancing  at
least (even if you just say all even /8's pref'd on one gateway and all odd
/8's from the other provider, etc). Of course this won't be symmetrical, but
thats the nature eBGP on the internet. You'll have to watch it and adjust as
needed so that you won't saturate your slower link.

Max