Dual Homed BGP for failover

Jack Carrozzo jack at crepinc.com
Tue Jan 18 18:40:56 UTC 2011

You can just accept directly-connected peers from each network (or within 2
AS's, etc) then point a default at each one with different preferences. You
can do with with two edges if you like also: iBGP between the edges, and
push default into OSPF from both.

WRT dynamic load balancing... generally if your network is large enough for
two upstreams you'll have a pretty good distribution of flows so once you
get the prefs and prepends setup the way you like, thing won't shift that
rapidly. In my experience at least...

-Jack Carrozzo