IPv6 prefix lengths

Michiel Klaver michiel at klaver.it
Thu Jan 13 10:09:13 UTC 2011

At 22-07-28164 20:59, Richard Barnes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What IPv6 prefix lengths are people accepting in BGP from
> peers/customers?  My employer just got a /48 allocation from ARIN, and
> we're trying to figure out how to support multiple end sites out of
> this (probably around 10).  I was thinking about assigning a /56 per
> site, but looking at the BGP table stats on potaroo.net [1], it looks
> like this is not too common (only .29% of prefixes).  Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Richard,

Most major transit providers with IPv6 support filter at a maximum prefix
length of /48 [1]
Also, some guidance in subnetting can be found at several places on the web [2]

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_by_major_transit_providers
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_subnetting_reference