Is NAT can provide some kind of protection?

Scott Helms khelms at ispalliance.net
Wed Jan 12 20:44:27 UTC 2011

No it really doesn't.  Thank you for leaving the key word when you
quoted me (configured).  The difference is the _default_ behavior of the
two.  NAT by _default_ drops packets it doesn't have a mapped PAT
translation for.  Home firewalls do not _default_ to dropping all
packets they don't have a rule to explicitly allow.  The behaviors when
configured by someone knowledgeable behave the in a similar fashion
(allowing packets that are configured to pass and dropping all others)
but end users don't do that as a rule.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology