IPv6 - real vs theoretical problems

Jima nanog at jima.tk
Wed Jan 12 16:59:35 UTC 2011

On 01/11/2011 01:31 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> It's not about the number of devices. That's IPv4-think. It's about the number
> of segments. I see a world where each home-entertainment cluster would
> be a separate segment (today, few things use IP, but, future HE solutions
> will include Monitors, Amps, Blu-Ray players, and other Media gateways
> that ALL have ethernet ports for control and software update).

 Your future is now, Owen.  I have four network devices at my primary
television -- the TV itself, TiVo, PS3, and Wii (using the wired
adapter).  All told, I have seven networked home entertainment devices
in my house, with another (Blu-Ray player) likely coming soon.  I feel
confident in saying that my use case isn't unusual these days.

 While a lot of the scalability concerns are blown off as "not applying
to typical consumers," we're quickly getting to the point where your
average joe IS somewhat likely to have different classes of devices that
might benefit from being on separate subnets.

     Jima