AltDB?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Jan 11 06:45:20 UTC 2011

On 01/10/2011 19:18, John Curran wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 01/09/2011 10:09, John Curran wrote:
>>> Please suggest your preferred means of IRR authentication to the ARIN
>>>   suggestion process:<https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/index.html>
>> Now it seems that you acknowledged that further on in this thread, but just for fun I decided to try your suggestions-suggestion. I went to the site, it requires a login.
>
> Doug - Perhaps you saw the "ARIN Online" login on the left side and decided
> to create an account for registration services?

Wasn't a conscious decision, no. :)  The page at the URL above looks
like this for me:

http://dougbarton.us/ARIN-Participation.png

That's using firefox 3.6.13 on FreeBSD with a few addons, but nothing
that should be affecting how the page renders. OTOH I do have the
minimum font size cranked up globally.

On (admittedly) cursory exam I didn't see a form to submit anything, so
I gravitated to the rather large login widget under the assumption that
it must be important because it's so big. :) Of course I wish now that I
had spent a little more time searching for a suggestion link, but with
the only prominently displayed suggestion-related item being the "ARIN
Consultation and Suggestion Process" header, and no form below it, my
eye went to the next biggest thing.

> The Suggestion Process page
> should haved displayed for you without any login; it describes the suggestion
> process as follows:
>
> "Any person in the ARIN community is welcome to make a suggestion
>   regarding an existing or potential ARIN service or practice.
>   Such a suggestion will be sent to ARIN as described at Suggestion
>   Submission<https://www.arin.net/app/suggestion/>  page. "

Yes, when going to that page it's a lot more clear. I'm glad that it's
my own incompetence that prevented me from effectively making a
submission. Perhaps we're all better off as a result. :)

Doug

			-- OK Go