arin and ops fora (was Re: AltDB?)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jan 11 00:36:34 UTC 2011

>> PPML is a forum for the community (not just ARIN members, the entire community).
> Good to know. I was under the impression that it was member only.

Nope... Anyone interested can subscribe to PPML.

>> There is a separate mailing list... arin-discuss which is for members of ARIN to discuss
>> any ARIN-related topic of interest to the membership. They can and sometimes do
>> discuss operational matters there.
>>
> Except it's listed as no input from ARIN itself?

ARIN does occasionally send informational postings to arin-discuss, but, you are correct
that ARIN staff does not engage in the discussions on that list.

Perhaps a mechanism for ARIN participation would be a good improvement in this area.

>> Everything you are asking for in your last paragraph is available. Perhaps what is needed
>> is better education of the membership and community on what tools are available and how
>> to use them. Were you familiar with arin-discuss prior to this message? If so, in what way
>> does it not meet the need you are describing?
>>
> I can't get subscribed, so, :P

I'll try to address this issue with you off-list.

> I also haven't seen on the website pointers for where different tools and resources fall into for community review, comment, suggestion, etc. Perhaps it's just my website navigation skills. However, as I said previously, I have no serious complaints. It's not like the AC and CEO aren't publicly visible and vocal.

Thanks... We try to be accessible to the community for just this reason.

I think the website doesn't particularly point to those things, but, there pretty much are only
three directions to go and the web site does provide a description of each one...

PPML for discussion of number resource policies and related matters.

ACSP for suggestions and consultations of the community on non-policy matters.

arin-discuss mailing list for discussion with other members about any topic of interest
to the ARIN membership, potentially including demand/desire for tools, operational
practices of ARIN, fees, etc.

Does that help?

Owen