Satellite IP

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jan 10 21:33:30 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Valdis Kletnieks" <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>

> > Why the hostility, Valdis?
>
> As I said several times - it's not hard to be 98% or 99% sure you can make
> all your commitments. However, since predicting the future is an inexact
> science,
> it's really hard to provide a *100% guarantee* that you'll have enough
> contended capacity to make all the performance targets even if every
> single occasional customer shows up at once. As Jay pointed out in his
> follow-up note, his backup strategy is "scramble around and hope another
> provider can
> come through in time", which is OK if you *know* that's your strategy
> and are OK on it. However, blindly going along with "my usual provider
> guaranteed 100% availability" is a bad idea.

I don't think Kelly is on his first rodeo, and I know I'm not.

"scramble around" is a bit pejorative as descriptions for my booking
strategy go, but everyone has a cranky day every so often, not least me.

:-)

And note that I *also* pointed out that carrier statmuxing on the
transport is a valid strategy for capacity elasticity, in that particular
environment.

> Remember, we're coming out of a solar minimum. ;)

Are we in fact coming out of it yet?  I heard it was getting deeper,
and that we were looking at a Dalton, if not another Maunder.

Cheers,
-- jra