AltDB? (IRR support & direction at ARIN)

Charles Gucker cgucker at onesc.net
Mon Jan 10 05:22:23 UTC 2011

> I had a vague concept of IRR before this thread, and have researched
> them as a result of it. They seem quite useful. I didn't know anything
> about RPKI before this thread. I'm looking into that now.
>
> So I don't think ARIN should spend it's limited resources on anything to
> do with it's copy of the IRR. In fact I'm not sure why they even operate
> one. It seems to be the realm of service providers to do so.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me as to why a RIR is operating an IRR database? It
> doesn't make sense to me.

Sure.   I've been staying quiet on this thread, but as one person who
has used (and still maintains a number of records) ARIN's IRRd, I'll
respond.

Firstly, There are many networks with whom want to put their IRR
objects into a neutral and objective database.    I know that AltDB is
"free", but as I've been told before, if you want support, donate to
"Abha Ahuja Women in Science in Engineering" scholarship fund,
otherwise your maintainer objects will never be approved (know this
one first hand).   And RADB, with whom used to be free charges a fee
to have records maintained via their web GUI.    Many network
operators don't want to directly pay for such services, so ARIN makes
sense in this regard.    My original alternative was to setup my own
IRRd, but was glad not to have to go to the trouble.

Secondly, ARIN's IRRd is a lot easier to use than any service provider
IRRd as those are intended for customer records only and if you wish
to leave them, they will delete your records or just simply deny you
support.   Especially when said providers mirror ARIN's database.
It's much like using PA vs PI IP space.   If you want to be indebted
to your provider, continue to use their "free" services.

Thirdly, with the above in mind, ARIN provides support to all members
of ARIN, so you can get a real person on the phone or by email to
respond to questions.

So, all in all, I am grateful that ARIN has supplied the IRRd service,
would love to see the authentication enhanced, but otherwise I don't
have any complaints.    I encourage others to use the service
regularly and am glad to see it getting some attention, we just need
to make sure to channel the attention into enhancements and not
limitations.

thanks,
charles