AltDB?

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sat Jan 8 05:33:20 UTC 2011

note that while i am also an ARIN trustee, i am speaking here as what randy
calls "just another bozo on this bus".  for further background, ISC has done
some rpki work and everybody at ISC including me likes rpki just fine.  when
the ARIN board was first considering funding ISC to do some early rpki work,
went out into the hallway until the discussion was over (ending positively.)

On Jan 5, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> i have a rumor that arin is delaying and possibly not doing rpki that
> seems to have been announced on the ppml list (to which i do not
> subscribe).

john curran has explained that arin is doing its due diligence on some
concerns that were brought up during a review of the rpki rollout.  there
is no sense in which arin has said that it is "not doing rpki" although the
current review does technically qualify as "delaying rpki".  i'm treating
the above rumour as false.

David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> writes:
> I heard about the delay, but not about ARIN possibly not doing RPKI. That
> would be ... surprising.  [...]

it would be very much surprising to me as well.

[bush]
> as it has impact on routing, not address policy, across north america
> and, in fact the globe, one would think it would be announced and
> discussed a bit more openly and widely.

even if i thought that the operational impact could be felt in these early
days when rpki remains an almost completely nonproduction service, and i
don't think this by the way, i would still say that an internal review of
a new service is not really something the whole community cares about.

[conrad]
> The definition of what comes under the "public policy mailing list"
> umbrella has always been a bit confusing to me.  Too bad something like
> the APNIC SIGs and RIPE Working Groups don't really exist in the ARIN
> region.

do you have a specific proposal?  i've noted in the past that arin tries
hard to stick to its knitting, which is allocation and allocation policy.
it seems to me that if some in the community wanted arin to run SIGs or WGs
on things like routing policy arin could do it but that a lot of folks would
say that's mission creep and that it would be arin poaching on nanog lands.
--
Paul Vixie
Chairman and Chief Scientist, ISC