NIST IPv6 document

Jima nanog at jima.tk
Fri Jan 7 05:48:11 UTC 2011

  Hey Lamar, long time no talk.

On 1/6/2011 10:16 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Standards are written by people, of course, and most paragraphs have reasons to be there; I would find it interesting to hear the rationale for a router filling a slot in its neighbor table for a host that doesn't exist.  For that matter, I'd like to see a pointer to which standard that says this so I can read the verbiage myself, as that may have enough explanation to satisfy my curiosity.

  This actually came up last week in freenode/#ipv6; someone was puzzled
why there were FAIL entries showing up in their neighbor table, so I dug
into the RFC I found for ND (2461).  Turns out, it specifically says
entries for failed solicitations SHOULD be deleted.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2461#section-7.3.3

  It's the seventh paragraph into that section, including the indented
Note.  ("Upon entering the PROBE state...")
  Pardon me if that's the wrong RFC.

      Jima