NIST IPv6 document

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Jan 7 02:24:36 UTC 2011

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 5, 2011, at 9:17 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
> >> However, that's not the only potential use! =A0A client that initiates
> >> each new outbound connection from a different IP address is doing
> >> something Really Good.
> > If hosts start cycling their addresses that frequently, don't you run the
> > risk of that becoming a form of DOS on your router's ND tables?
>
> Of course, Owen.  I replied to that specific point in Joe's post
> earlier, although I have written so much on this thread, I have tried
> to condense my replies, so anyone reading in thread mode may have
> missed it.
>
> The fact that Joe even makes that suggestion signals how little
> understanding he has of the problem.  His idea would DoS his own
> router.

With today's implementations of things?  Perhaps.  However, you
show yourself equally incapable of grasping the real problem by
looking at the broader picture, and recognizing that problematic
issues such as finding hosts on a network are very solvable
problems, and that we are at an early enough phase of IPv6 that
we can even expect some experiments will be tried.

Look beyond what _is_ today and see if you can figure out what
it _could_ be.  There's no need for what I suggest to DoS a router;
that's just accepting a naive implementation and saying "well this
can't be done because this one way of doing it breaks things."  It
is better to look for a way to fix the problem.

... JG