NIST IPv6 document

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Jan 6 17:17:30 UTC 2011

On 1/6/2011 10:44 AM, Joe Greco wrote:
> On the flip side, however, I would point out that attackers have had vastly
> more resources made available to them in part *because* IPv4 has been so
> easily scanned and abused.  To be sure, a lot of viruses have spread via
> e-mail spam and drive-by downloads, and sparse addressing will not prevent
> script kiddies from banging away on ssh brute force attacks against
> www.yoursite.com.  But there's been a lot of spread through stupidity as
> well.

A randomly setup ssh server without DNS will find itself brute force
attacked. Darknets are setup specifically for detection of scans. One
side effect of v6, is determining how best to deploy darknets, as we
can't just take one or two blocks to do it anymore. We'll need to
interweave the darknets with the production blocks. I wish it was
possible via DHCPv6-PD to assign a block minus a sub-block (hey, don't
use this /64 in the /48 I gave you). It could be that darknets will have
to go and flow analysis is all we'll be left with.

Jack