NIST IPv6 document

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Jan 6 06:26:04 UTC 2011

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
> > However, that's not the only potential use! =A0A client that initiates
> > each new outbound connection from a different IP address is doing
> > something Really Good.
>
> No, Joe, it is not doing anything Good. =A0This would require the
> software being written to make such random address selection, add more
> entries to the router's NDP table, and it would DoS the box's own
> router if an outbound scan were initiated from the host machine.
> Again, you totally fail to understand the problem. =A0I should just
> attach a "facepalm" graphic to my reply and stop bothering with your
> idiocy, but it is important that as many people as possible understand
> these issues. =A0Every additional person who is expressing concern to
> their vendors brings us closer to a solution.

A bunch of very smart people have worked on IPv6 for a very long
time, and justification for /64's was hashed out at extended length
over the period of years.

A bunch of clever people have worked on things like 4941, people at
places like IBM and Microsoft, people who created actual working
implementations of these things.

A bunch of experienced people have discussed the operational
ins and outs.  Including myself.  We realize that there are both
good and bad aspects to pretty much any issue.  I certainly said
so about this one.  I view IPv6 as a mostly-done deal; no major
changes are likely to happen.  Too many parties have too much
invested in all of this.

I'm sorry that you missed out on all of that.

But.

Calling it "my" idiocy?  "Facepalm" graphic?  Brilliant discussion
technique.  If you can't discuss this on the merits and concede that
there are other valid points of view, please hang up and go bother
someone else.  I hear Jim Fleming's available.

... JG