Problems with removing NAT from a network

Matt Hite lists at beatmixed.com
Thu Jan 6 03:08:51 UTC 2011

You didn't mention, but are you introducing a second border router? Is
the new upstream circuit from a new provider, or is it a second,
redundant circuit to the same provider in a different POP? Does your
customer have their own portable address space, or are they using
provider address space?

I'll make some presumptions: yes, it is a different provider, and no,
they don't have their own address space.

Based on those guesses/presumptions, I'd push to acquire portable
address space. Advertise it to both providers, carve a chunk of that
address space off and route it to a firewall(s) to perform border NAT.
Migrate old, provider dependent external NAT space to new, portable
address space.

-M