Clearwire/Clear for branch office connectivity?

Nathan Eisenberg nathan at atlasnetworks.us
Thu Jan 6 00:14:50 UTC 2011

> There
> appears to be zero interest in their business model to accommodate the
> enterprise.

In my own personal experience, there appears to be zero interest in their business model to accommodate the CUSTOMER.

They go on and on about how their frequency-space gives them a competitive advantage, but their network is unreliable and extremely traffic policed (try downloading something.  You MIGHT get close to the advertised speed for a few seconds, but you'll spend the next 2 hours browsing at the speed of mud when the traffic policer kicks in.  Do it too often, and it seems to stop de-limiting you altogether).  As far as I can tell, the issue isn't on the customer-leg, it's on their backhauls and core network.  Worse, their customer service is nonexistent, and their cancellation policy is a nightmare (so bad that there's a class action against them - not sure where it's at, haven't checked in a while).

I have heard horror stories from their employees, their resellers, and fellow former customers.  They're filing/have filed for bankruptcy.  How many letters does it take to spell 'broken'?  If you have a POTS line at locations where you need a connection, find someone who will sell you dialup, or get 3G service from a cell carrier (careful - 4G Sprint service is provided by Clearwire).  You will, sadly, be happier.

Nathan

(This is my own personal opinion based on my experiences and the experiences directly related to me by others.  It does not reflect solid fact or reality.  My employer probably thinks my opinion is false - and it may well be.)