AltDB?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jan 5 17:31:45 UTC 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Jay Coley wrote:

> On 05/01/2011 17:09, Craig Pierantozzi wrote:
>> On Jan 5, 2011, at 9:26 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Can anyone from Level3 say how this will impact customer BGP filters. Will L3 keep working with the last data sync they got from altdb?
>>
>> Yes, Level 3 will continue to use the last data mirrored and archived. New filters are not pushed daily, they are only pushed when things change.
>>
>> Archives are here in case people want to know what the latest was: <ftp://rr.level3.net/pub/rr/archive.mirror-data/>
>>
>> regards
>>

> So has anyone had any contact from ALTDB as to what's going on?

I don't know, but I'd like to make a suggestion that most people will just reject, .. but ...

1) If ARIN doesn't provide the level of authentication you desire, as an ARIN member you should send a note to ppml each day until it's available, or make a proposal to improve it.  Last time around, it wasn't very exciting for many people.

2) If you DEPEND on something for your business, it may just be "worth it" to:
  a) pay RADB who operates professionally
  b) use your ISP provided IRR (eg: NTT, level3, savvis, etc)

You are less likely to encounter business issues due to the mirroring/latency etc of RADB -> YourISP or ALTDB -> YourISP if you use them as you have a direct business relationship.  They may even prefer their objects over the RADB seen ones.

- Jared