Router only speaks IGP in BGP network

Jeff Aitken jaitken at aitken.com
Mon Jan 3 17:02:00 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 08:52:42AM -0500, ML wrote:
> If you're only redistributing 10 prefixes into OSPF? Problem?

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but figured I'd point out one
reason why this can be very dangerous:

In IOS, you use a route-map to control redistribution between protocols.
For example, if you want to redist just those BGP prefixes tagged with a
specific community into OSPF, you will probably configure something that
looks like this:

    route-map bgp-to-ospf permit 10
     match community $COMMUNITY
    !
    route-map bgp-to-ospf deny 20
    !
    router ospf $PID
     redistribute bgp $ASN subnets route-map bgp-to-ospf

Now, consider the following failure scenarios:

1. Someone typo's a BGP config elsewhere in your network and attaches
$COMMUNITY to a whole bunch more routes... say, all 350k being sent by your
upstream provider.  *oops*

2. An engineer thinks that there's something wrong with the redistribution
and decides to temporarily disable it as part of the troubleshooting
process.  He types the following:

    conf t
    router ospf $PID
    no redistribute bgp $ASN subnets route-map bgp-to-ospf

*boom*

He just dumped all BGP routes into OSPF, due to the way IOS parses the
command: it removes the route-map but leaves the redistribution intact.
To be fair, Cisco does provide you with tools to mitigate this risk (see
the "redistribute maximum-prefix" command) but the point is that this is
a fairly easy mistake to make.

At the end of the day, the reason that many folks advise against the
redistribution of BGP into an IGP is that it sets the stage for a seemingly
insignificant mistake to cause a not-so-insignificant outage.

--Jeff