Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Mon Feb 28 20:42:28 UTC 2011

Dual stack isn't always the best approach.  For networks that pass a
large amount of traffic to a relatively small number of destinations,
NAT64/DNS64 on a native v6 platform might be a better migration
approach.  If 90% of your traffic is v6, it is probably less trouble to
use NAT64/DNS64 to reach that 10% than it is to dual-stack.

Networks such as the sort described above would be expected to see the
majority of their traffic migrate very quickly to v6 once only a few
remote networks are v6 capable.  This is a case where the pain is
front-loaded.  The amount of NAT64/DNS64 required to support such a
topology is great at first, then quickly steps down as the destinations
exchanging the most traffic become v6 capable, and then gradually tails
off as the outliers catch up.