Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Mon Feb 28 04:17:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Ray Soucy <rps at maine.edu> wrote:
> This seems to have upset at least one Apple engineer who dropped the
> NDA bomb on me; while he didn't confirm it was there, he did imply it,
> and it did make me have people give a second look. (I tried to get him
> to admit it but he's obviously been through Apple secret keeping
> training).

If work on DHCPv6 or other common tools are obscured by NDA, and thus
information is not available to potential customers, and IT
departments who must plan to support those customers, Apple is at
fault, not Ray or anyone else.

There is a lesson for Apple here.  Secrets are cool and there is often
a legitimate need to keep new features under wraps until you are
actually ready to ship them (competition, delays, whatever.)  Somehow,
I don't think Steve Jobs is going to give a presentation on DHCPv6,
and I doubt Apple's decision to ship it with their OS is going to
cause Microsoft or other "competitors" to .. do anything differently.

Obscuring some things behind NDA is good for business.  IPv6 matters
(specific to DHCPv6 or otherwise) are not among those things, and
Apple ought to take notice of this very discussion and make their
intentions and progress more public, so IT departments know what to
expect.

Secrecy is good for business, except when it's not.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts