Sunday Funnies: Using a smart phone as a diagnostic tool

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Mon Feb 28 04:14:53 UTC 2011

On 02/27/2011 06:00 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Do you have a smartphone?  Blackberry?  iPhone?  Android?

Yes. Had all 3. Android is my only tool now. It's superb. I've
used/supported and developed applications for all 3 platforms. Android
has been the most pleasant by far.

> Do you use it as a technical tool in your work, either for accessing
> devices or testing connectivity -- or something else?

Yes. All the time. For out of band connectivity at customer sites to
various diagnostic applications on the phone.

> If so, what kind of phone,

My Touch 3g from t-mobile.

 and what (if you don't mind letting on) are
> your magic apps for this sort of work?

Built in browser on Froyo (often times need to search something when a
network is down), mail client (k9mail). Also netSwissTool. Oh and of
course I tether my phone.

> (My motivation?  Well, um, Lee, I'm looking at buying an HTC Thunderbolt,
> if everyone can get their thumbs out, and I want to get a feeling for
> the lanscape, if you'll pardon the pun. :-)

I keep meaning to pickup a cheap android tablet. Load ubuntu on it
(android os is quite nice on a phone. larger system i would prefer to
have ubuntu). (before you sneer at me, i've been using linux for almost
15 years, and want something that just works :)

- --
Charles N Wyble (charles at knownelement.com)
Systems craftsman for the stars
http://www.knownelement.com