Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Feb 28 01:57:22 UTC 2011

In message <20110228013421.GA32758 at ussenterprise.ufp.org>, Leo Bicknell writes:
> In a message written on Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 09:39:24AM +1100, Mark Andrews=
>  wrote:
> > Have you *asked* your vendors for a alternate solution?
> >=20
> > DHCP kills privacy addresses.
> > DHCP kills CGAs.
>
> Not true.
>
> Some would like to use DHCPv6 to hand a host things like DNS servers,
> NTP servers, PXE boot information, domain name search paths, and
> the like.

And you can do most of that without requiring DHCP for addresses.
PXE boot may be the exception.

>  There's no reason once the host gets a DHCP address and
> that information it can't also generate and use a privacy address
> or CGA.

Except in the senarios being described they are also blocking the
other addresses.  I would also think setting the "M" bit would
prelude the host from generating such addresses as they are unmanaged.

> While this thread has focused on folks who want to use DHCPv6 to
> preclude these items by for instance having switches and routers
> filtered to only the "allowed" address (assigned via DHCP) there's
> no requirement a network operator do that.
>
> DHCP has a couple of hundred defined options.  Vendors have tried
> adding ONE to the RA protocol (DNS servers) as replacement
> functionality.  That leaves them a few hundred options short, in
> my book.

Which is what the O bit was for.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC