Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Sun Feb 27 16:45:53 UTC 2011

On 27 Feb 2011, at 15:35, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>>> Does anybody have anything neat to keep logs of what host gets what ipv6
>>> address in an SLAAC environment?
>>
>> You'd have to correlate ND information in the router to some kind of
>> record of who has what MAC address at any given time. With SLAAC the host
>> doesn't "get" an IPv6 address, it "takes" one.
>>
>>> This is often required for legislation compliance. DHCP does this well.
>>
>> Which is one of the reasons why some of us want DHCPv6 support in hosts.
>
> Agreed. In our environment Mac OSX hosts will either have to get the
> necessary DHCPv6 functionality, or the customer will have to buy a
> router (which can then get DHCPv6 PD from us, and offer RA/SLAAC on
> the LAN side).
>
> SLAAC for our ISP customers just won't happen, for a lot of reasons.

I really do not get the lack of DHCPv6, the Apple 'it should be easy' is all very well and good, but it really does not help those people who have to run the networks at all.

So for the foreseeable future SLAAC seems to be a requirement especially for WiFi operators for example who will have to support a multitude of unknown hosts. Has anybody found a usable method of achieving IPv6 address logs for such networks or will I just have to write some awful sniffer that spits out into a database that later on I'll have to correlate with WiFi AP RADIUS logs?

--
Leigh Porter