[OT] Internet connectivity options in Afghanistan?

Ryan Wilkins ryan at deadfrog.net
Tue Feb 22 23:44:27 UTC 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Janet Sullivan wrote:

> I'm looking for cheap/slow internet connectivity options in Kabul, Jalalabad, and Herat.  The connections will be used by AFCECO orphanages, so speed isn't as much of an issue as cost.  I'm guessing that satellite might be the only game in town, but if any of you fine folks know of connectivity options, I'd appreciate an email.

There is fiber infrastructure around there but I'm not sure how reliable, available, or costly it is to use.  The communications challenges that I have worked on into and out of Afghanistan have all been solved by satellite.  I can tell you that if you want to push IP over satellite from the US, your options are very limited and more likely to be expensive.  You may want to look into shared satellite providers in that part of the world.  Europe has a number of them, as does Japan and China.  You may even find a service point out of Dubai.

Cheers,
Ryan Wilkins