BGP Failover Question

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Mon Feb 21 21:21:45 UTC 2011

Chris,

The best way to resolve this issue is to not use a service provider who takes down your connectivity outside of maintenance windows, but I digress.

This is the nature of BGP. You send your providers routes about your network prefixes and they send you routes to say the DFZ. When you forward packets to them ,because they sent you routes saying they can get the destinations your packets have on them, it is now outside of anything you can do about it. It is now up to the peer to forward the packets as they said they would by sending you prefixes.

This is a trust relationship as you trust they will forward your packets because that is why you are paying them.

- Brian J.