Traffic to 5/8 and 37/8 - stats on RIPE Labs

Ryan Rawdon ryan at u13.net
Mon Feb 21 14:24:47 UTC 2011

Doesn't the LogMeIn Hamachi "VPN service" use 5.0.0.0/8?  Perhaps the spikes to 5.5.5.0/24 or the space in general are from fluctuations or waves of disconnects of Hamachi users, so when they are disconnected their Hamachi traffic heads out in to the DFZ?  This service is particularly popular amongst gamers who like to play LAN games over the Internet when Internet play is not possible, which could account for the diverse set of source addresses and UDP traffic (and I'm sure a long tail of other applications/uses)

I can't say I am terribly familiar with the service, but it is one of the first things that came to mind when reading the RIPE writeup.

It would be interesting to see what the distribution of source/destination ports are in the traffic headed into 5/8 or 5.5.5.0/24 to see if they can be correlated to common games or applications that may be used over Hamachi.