quietly....

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Feb 20 02:15:25 UTC 2011

My understanding of peer-to-peer was that it indicated that all hosts had
equal ability to originate or terminate (as in accept, not as in end) sessions.
That is, the role of client or server is defined by the choice of the application
and/or software on the host and not by the network.

IP is a peer to peer network because all nodes are equal at the protocol
level. IP does not make a protocol-level distinction between clients or
servers.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

Noting specifically from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client-server#Comparison_to_peer-to-peer_architecture

It would appear to me that IP is, by definition peer to peer while
TCP seems inherently client-server in most implementations and
UDP is ambiguous and can be used in either mode, as in DNS where
a recursive resolver operates simultaneously as both a server and
a client or peer and an authoritative server with secondaries also
operates simultaneously as a server and as a peer.

You are correct about the peer to peer or not nature of an architecture
being possibly different at different layers, but, I don't think you are
right in saying that having routers in between makes two IP nodes
not peers.

Owen