quietly....

kmedcalf at dessus.com kmedcalf at dessus.com
Sat Feb 19 18:11:48 UTC 2011

And that has nothing to do with whether a protocol is a peer protocol or not.  IP is a peer-to-peer protocol.  As SMTP is implemented over IP, it is also a peer-to-peer protocol.

In IP, all hosts/nodes are peers.

That you may wish that this were not the case and thereby impose completely arbitrary "paper based controls" does not in any way change the fact that IP is a peer to peer protocol and that all IP hosts/nodes are peers on the network.

Your "paper based controls" are just as effective in turning an IP host/node into a non-peer host/node as is holding up a copy of a restraining order preventing Johhny X from hitting you in the face in front of Johhny's fist just before he breaks your nose.

That you believe that your "paper controls" have any effect on reality is saddening.  Just because someone writes a bit of paper saying that the moon is made of green cheese does not make it so.  Writing on a bit of paper that IP is not a peer-peer protocol does not make it so.

If your security is based on such wishful thinking and self-delusion, you really ought to invest in some technical controls that are reality-based and stop with the paper-compliance-tiger as it provides no useful benefit whatsoever.

---
()  ascii ribbon campaign against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org