[arin-ppml] NAT444 rumors (was Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Feb 19 16:08:51 UTC 2011

On Feb 19, 2011, at 12:41 AM, Zed Usser wrote:

> --- On Sat, 2/19/11, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>>   Are you willing to bet that IPv4 address
>> exhaustion will not result in IPv6-only hosts before we run
>> out of meaningful IPv4-only hosts?
>> No, but, I am willing to bet that we will not meaningfully
>> make the situation better for those IPv4-only hosts or the IPv6-only
>> hosts attempting to reach them by any mechanism more efficient
>> than encouraging them to add IPv6 capability, whether or not
>> that happens after the fact.
>  So, in essence, you are advocating not to interconnect the IPv4-only and IPv6-only domains in any way?
>
> - Zed

I'm advocating not depending on any such interaction working as it's pretty clear that
the available solution set is fairly broken.

I'm advocating not expending significant development resources on enhancing that
situation when it's pretty clear they are better spent facilitating IPv6 deployment to
obviate the need for this level of hackery.

Owen