[arin-ppml] NAT444 rumors (was Re: Looking for an IPv6naysayer...)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 18 21:54:06 UTC 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Franck Martin wrote:

> http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/isp/large.html
>
> If you take the 5 top US ISPs and get them to do dual stack IPv6, that's 50 million subscribers in the US only.
>
> I think google and others will notice some serious traffic happening.

Google would probably notice significant traffic increases on IPv6 if they started providing AAAA records
to non-white-listed DNS resolvers.

> It took a market share of 10 to 20% of Mozilla for web developers to go back to support ALL browsers. Same for mobile web site a 10% surfing rate got many companies to develop web sites for mobiles.
>
> If I recall Comcast and Time Warner are participating in IPv6 day. This should create enough eyeballs to show on web analytics graph and provide the shift that makes nat444 irrelevant.

They have not yet deployed to more than a handful of trial customers. In fact, I think TW has not yet started
their trials.

> For a network operator I'm looking at the ipv6 ipv4 ASN ratio. Once it passes 10% we will have a snow ball effect in the core.

It's just short of 9% today and climbing rapidly.

> Toute connaissance est une réponse à une question

The trick is combining the correct knowledge with the right question.

Owen