Internet Exchange Point(IXP) questions

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Feb 18 21:29:12 UTC 2011

In a message written on Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 02:34:21PM -0500, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> why is it a good idea to send this to your customers? the next-hop
> info is surely only useful to your local network? done right it's even
> only relevant to the IX connected router, right? it seems wholely
> unusful to your customers. (to me at least)

If by "done right" you mean perhaps a feature like returning ICMP's from
a loopback IP rather than the interface IP, there are two issues with
that:

The far end ISP controls this feature.  If they don't enable it you must
work around by announcing the prefix to your customer.  One person doing
it wrong at the exchange is enough that you have to work around it.

I at least find it useful when traceroute shows the interface.  I
believe it saves time for your NOC, and burning IP's for interfaces
makes a lot of sense in terms of speeding troubleshooting.  Even if all
of my gear allowed me to send ICMP's from the loopback it's quite likely
I would not use that feature.