Internet Exchange Point(IXP) questions

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 19:34:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Michael K. Smith - Adhost
<mksmith at adhost.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the misfire on my last email.  The 206.81.80.0/23 network is assigned to the SIX from ARIN.   In general, we don't want
> people to announce that space to the DFZ, so the three providers listed above are not filtering their announcements properly.  It is, as
> others have said, a good idea to announce the exchange block to your customers, but not out to the DFZ.

why is it a good idea to send this to your customers? the next-hop
info is surely only useful to your local network? done right it's even
only relevant to the IX connected router, right? it seems wholely
unusful to your customers. (to me at least)