BGP (in)security makes the AP wire

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 18 12:26:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 09:38:18AM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> geographic location doesn't map to topology

In LEO satellite constellations and mesh wireless it typically does.
When bootstrapping a global mesh, one could use VPN tunnels over
Internet to emulate long-distance links initially.

Eben Moglen recently proposed a FreedomBox intitiative, using ARM
wall warts to build an open source cloud with an anonymizing layer.
Many of these come with 802.11x radio built-in. If this project
ever happens, it could become a basis for end-user owned
infrastructure. Long-range WiFi can compete with LR fiber
in principle, though at a tiny fraction of throughput.

> > Presumably, one could prototype something simple and cheap at L2 level
> > with WGS 84->MAC (about ~m^2 resolution), custom switch firmware and GBIC
> > for longish (1-70 km) distances, but without a mesh it won't work.

The local 64 bit part of IPv6 has enough space for global ~2 m resolution,
including altitide (24, 24, 16 bit). With DAD and fuzzing lowest
significant bits address collisions could be prevented reliably.

Central authority and decentralism can co-exist.