IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Fri Feb 18 11:36:19 UTC 2011

* Iljitsch van Beijnum

> By the way, IANA only deals in /8s. However, a lot of people got
> legacy /16s or other non-/8 sizes, so some /8s that are marked
> "legacy" actually contain a lot of unused space. Each of those /8 is
> "administered" by a RIR, but it's unclear (to me at least) whether
> that means that RIR gets to give out that space in its region or not.

The unused space in the ERX blocks were divided evenly between the RIRs
a couple of years ago, see:

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/wilson-to-conrad-28jan08-en.pdf
http://bgp.potaroo.net/stats/nro/various.html

I believe «administered by» simply means that the RIR is the one
providing reverse DNS services for the block in question.

Regards,
--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com