[arin-ppml] NAT444 rumors (was Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...)

Andrew Yourtchenko ayourtch at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:33:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Zed Usser <zzuser at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't some kind of NAT/PAT going to be required to join the IPv4 and IPv6
> domains in all foreseeable futures? If so, aren't we going to have to deal with these issues in any case?

I'd compare it with borrowing some money:

When you make NAT64 to reach from IPv6 to IPv4, you are borrowing the
money to build a new house.
When you make NAT444, you borrow the money to repay the debt you made
by borrowing the previous month.

Both are borrowing.

Depending on the circumstances you may need both.

cheers,
andrew