IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Thu Feb 17 17:26:05 UTC 2011

Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> writes:

> It's not usable as general purpose unicast.  Both those drafts
> attempt to do that.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilson-class-e-00 does not.
Recommend you re-read.

> It would be possible to use it as restricted purpose unicast, i.e.
> to connect from a cpe border router to a 6rd and/or LSN with the
> cpe border router signaling that it support the use of class E
> addresses when it requests a address from upstream.
>
> The upsteam only returns a class E address when it is sure that the
> network between the LSN/6rd supports class E traffic.

The contemporary discussions we had on this subject centered around
management infrastructure for MSOs, not 6rd (which was still a twinkle
in the Bad Idea Fairy's eye at the time).  Not speaking for Paul here,
but it was not our intention to box in possible use of this space,
only to mark it as sufficiently toxic that end users and normal
enterprises would stay away.  Would be great for 6rd if that's what
folks wanted to use it for and could get the CPE vendors to cooperate.

-r