[arin-announce] IN-ADDR.ARPA Zone Transfer Complete

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Feb 17 16:03:07 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-16, at 21:15, David Conrad wrote:

> Congrats to all on getting this done!  It's been a long time in coming. Good to see it finally finished.

You're very welcome :-) however, the work is not quiet yet done. Next steps are:

  week of 2011-02-21: IN-ADDR.ARPA zone dropped from B, C, E, G, I, M root servers
  week of 2011-02-28: IN-ADDR.ARPA zone dropped from A, D, F, H, K, L root servers
  week of 2011-03-06: DS record for IN-ADDR.ARPA inserted into ARPA zone

At the end of this process every subdomain of ARPA will be fully DNSSEC-signed.

Query rates on the new servers (those operated by the RIRs and ICANN) are currently low, but are expected to increase as the IN-ADDR.ARPA zone is dropped from root servers. Some stats on the ICANN-operated servers can be found here:

  http://dns.icann.org/services/inaddr-arpa/
  http://dns.icann.org/services/ip6-arpa/

(click through on the graphs for more detail)

Joe