AT&T MPLS / BIB Routers

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu Feb 17 03:06:37 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 06:16 PM, Mikeal Clark wrote:
> I'm building up to 3000-4000ms latency with these BIB routers.  We never
> had this issue on the old point to points using Cisco gear.

Bufferbloat is getting more and more common, as memory has gotten
cheaper, and braindead people claim that 0 packet loss is a good idea
and only test for bandwidth.

So push back on AT&T, and start routinely testing latency under
saturating load on each and every piece of hardware you bring in the door.

You don't see the queues build unless the gear is the bottleneck of a
path, so it's easy to have the problem move on you: ergo test everything
independently.

For example, as soon as your broadband bandwidth exceeds that of your
wireless link in your house, your suffering will move from the broadband
link to your 802.11 hop.  There your home router (and your laptop both)
will have even more bufferbloat than most broadband connections, and you
suffer even worse.

Ironically, the cleaner your 802.11 environment is, the worse you'll
suffer, as some packet loss will keep the insanely huge buffers from
filling.  Most current OS hardware seems to put queues of around 256
packets in the driver, and there may be additional buffering above that.
			- Jim