Re: Local root zone (Was NYTimes: Egypt Leaders Found ‘Off’ Switch for Internet)

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Feb 16 21:25:13 UTC 2011

I don't think that the Egyptian shutdown of domain names had much effect; that's why the bgp prefixes were withdrawn. What was effective was the withdrawal of BGP prefixes.

http://www.renesys.com/blog/2011/01/egypt-leaves-the-internet.shtml notes, for example, that routes *through* Egypt were operational, but routes through the same fiber and the same routers *to* Egypt were non-functional.

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/akvadrako/live_eqyptian_internet_incident_analysis pretty clearly states that "prefixes associated with Egyptian ISPs were withdrawn".