quietly....

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Feb 14 03:51:48 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 04:49:57PM -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> >> there are perfectly valid reasons why you might want to renumber
> >> one,
> >
> > Ignoring historical mistakes, what would they be?
>
> gosh, I can't imagine why anyone would want to renumber of out
>
> 198.32.64.0/24...

	or 198.32.65.0/24
	or 10.0.0.0/8
	or 128.0.0.0/16

(speaking of the other blocks I've had the fortune to have to renumber out of)

> making them immutable pretty much insures that you'll then find a reason
> to do so.
>
> >> the current institutional heterogeneity has pretty good prospects
> >> for survivability.
> >
> > "Golden" addresses dedicated to root service (as opposed to 'owned'
> > by the root serving organization) means nothing regarding who is
> > operating servers behind those addresses.  It does make it easier to
> > change who performs root service operation (hence the politics).
>
> There are plenty of cautionary tales to be told about well-known
> addresses. assuming that for the sake of the present that we forsake
> future flexibility then sure golden addresses are great.
>
> > Regards, -drc

	well - there is an interesting take on hosting root
	name service on 127.0.0.1  and ::1

	then you have to do other tricks, like multicast and
	new op-codes and rip out the link-local restrictions
	that Apple's multicastDNS or the ilnp proposals do...

	end of the day, you end up with a -much- more robust DNS
	w/o the whole P2P/DNS (chord) like framework.

but ... this thread has migrated far from its origins... and the mutations are
less than operational.

YMMV of course.

--bill