[v6z] Re: IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat Feb 12 19:32:40 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> While I have a few WRT54G's lying around, I've never tried IPv6 on them,
> and would find it interesting if anyone has.

I used a WRT54G running DD-WRT for some time with a HE IPv6 tunnel (now
replaced with a Cisco 877, but not due to any failing of the Linksys/DD-WRT)

IPv6 support is actually broken in the latest version of DD-WRT, and it's
been that way for some time (measured in years), however with some hacking
you can get it to work.  It's not at all user friendly, and definitely not
consumer ready, but once it's working it's pretty much rock solid.

All up I'd say I probably spent less time getting IPv6 working on DD-WRT
than on my Cisco 877W (Hint: IOS 12.x doesn't support IPv6 on the bridge
interface, the IOS 15.x Advanced Security feature set doesn't support IPv6
at all, and the flash requirements listed for 15.1 Advanced IP are wrong. Go
Cisco!)

Keep in mind that not all WRT54G's support DD-WRT.  Linksys moved from Linux
to Vxworks but kept the model number the same (the version did change).  The
WRT54GL along with various other devices do support it - details are on the
DD-WRT website.

  Scott.